Is Sunday Brunch Still A Thing?
Brunch has gotten a bad rap. Many people believe it’s gone way to far. Crowds of brunchers descend on calm neighborhoods, often bedraggled, eager to order from rote menus featuring some variation of mimosas and eggs benedict.
And unfortunately restaurants are forced to serve brunch because hordes of people turn up, in all manner of states, grouchy, sleepy, noisy, in pairs, in quartets – or bigger – and restaurants hope to turn these hungry vagabonds into regular customers.
It sounds awful, right?
But with all that being said, we still love Sunday Brunch. In fact, it’s one of our favorite things. In what world is licence to eat eggs after 11:30 am, drink champagne and/or down a bloody mary (or two) before noon whilst chatting over a littering of Sunday’s finest news not a thing? When breakfast is too early and lunch is too late, it’s brunch that makes the perfect way to gather friends on Sunday.
And if that doesn’t convince you that brunch is worth having here are 11 other reasons why Sunday Brunch is most certainly still a thing.
1. You can sleep in as long as you want and still eat breakfast foods. No matter how late you hit the sheets last night, rest easy! You haven’t wasted your day because brunch will still be there when you wake up.
2. You can go to fancy restaurants that you’d never otherwise be able to afford. This is a big one. Brunch specials are basically the eighth wonder of the world. It’s cheaper than dinner so feel free to have your side order of bacon and eat it too.
3. Brunch is like a therapy session. Expect a rehash of the events from the night before, support from your friends on any and all questionable decisions, and scintillating conversation.
4. It’s the perfect excuse to day drink. Brunch is the only meal where it’s socially acceptable to drink in the morning. Something about the hair of the dog? Bottoms up!
5. Brunch caters to all styles. If the mood strikes, you can hit up a swanky spot in your Sunday best, but it’s just as common to shlub it up over eggs. But remember, always dress responsibly.
6. You don’t have to decide between sweet and savory. Want eggs? Get a pancake on the side! Have your heart set on waffles? Add some bacon, baby!
7. The lunch crowd can take part too. There’s always one outlier in your friend group who wants a cheeseburger. Thanks to brunch, you can all dine together in harmony.
8. Fancy coffee. Take a break from gross office brew and order a gorgeous, piping cappuccino with tons of foam or a latte with steamed milk that dreams are made of. Or both! The world is yours!
9. There’s always artful food combos. Think breakfast pizza and you’ll be slap happy for the rest of the day.
10. Brunch makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something with your day. You left the couch on a Sunday, that’s progress.
11. You don’t have to clean up after yourself. HIGH FIVE.
Above all, we love brunch because it’s relaxed. We can sashay to any number of locations in our pyjamas (silk, of course) and a pair of Dior kitten heels.
Because Lionel Richie was right, Sundays should be easy. Easy like Sunday morning…
Cover photo: Brooke Larke