Teen hip-hop artist Sho Madjozi has captivated and inspired many across South Africa, and thanks to her performance at the highly televised #Mandela100 tribute featuring stars like Beyonce and Ed Sheeran, Sho Madjozi is about to capture the attention of many more.
This includes the attention of big name celebs like Academy Award winning film maker Ava DuVernay who retweeted the teen’s performance with the caption “..one of the highlights of my trip to South Africa”.
— Ava DuVernay (@ava) December 2, 2018
Ava’s fans responded with love describing Sho Madjozi’s performance as infectious and genius!
Sho Madjozi is EVERYTHING. Her energy is infectious. So glad to have discovered her music during @afropunk
— Rachel, Esq. (@RachMEsq) December 2, 2018
Sho Majozi is an entire Mood!! 🙌🏽🙌🏽😍😍
— Pam Ku (@pamelakhumalo11) December 2, 2018
If you’ve never heard of Sho Madjozi and you want to be ready for the water cooler talks tomorrow, take a look at 11 fun facts we compiled about the South African rapper below:
- Sho Madjozi raps in Xitsonga, a highly criticized, southern African Bantu language spoken by the Tsonga people. The stigma is a lingering presence of apartheid which Maya enjoys debunking.
- Sho Madjozi’s real name is Maya Wegerif. Madjozi is a nickname after Vivian Majozi, a famous character from the SA tv show “Generations”, whom Maya is said to physically favor.
- While flying from Senegal to Kenya a bird hit her plane and forced it to land in Bamako, Mali. Maya said she fell in love with Bamako and has always wanted to return.
- The one person Sho Madjozi hopes to meet is Rihanna, aka Bad Girl Riri.
- Her favorite painter is Salvator Dali because his paintings match her clothing. She told Elle magazine if she could she’d buy the entire museum in Spain.
- She never leaves home without her cellphone and a pair of fluffy earrings.
- Her style inspiration comes from Xitsonga fashion from the late ’80s and early ’90s.
- Her last Instagram post right before her performance at the Global Citizen’s Festival was of her and recording artist Tiwa Savage (Ms. Savage has 6.1 Million Instagram followers!)
- Her latest single gives a shout out to the Black Panther film. It’s titled “Wakanda Forever”.
- She isn’t only a rapper she is also a poet known as Maya the Poet (maybe in homage to another poet named Maya??).
- Her stylist Bee Diamondhead worked with London super model and Victoria Secret’s model Jourdan Dunn for the latest cover of Wonderland Magazine.